top of page

How To: Off-Site Events

Updated: Mar 3, 2022

Instructions for using your retail ABC license (Types 41, 42, 47, 48 mainly) for off-site events.


The first thing to note is off-site events are a 2-part process. Your license allows you to get an add-on Type 58 Caterer's Permit, which then allows you to apply for "Catering Authorization" for each specific event. The Catering Permit is not a blanket authorization to do events, you must get approval for each one with the accompanying authorization.

The Process:

To get the Type 58 Caterer's Permit, complete this form (sections 1-3), get it notarized and submit to your local ABC District Office with a check for $240. These are typically processed in about a week, but it's best to submit as early as possible... it varies quite a bit by office. They need to be renewed each year (currently $240 annually) and they will include this amount in what is due on your annual renewal notice.

ABC239_Catering Permit
Download PDF • 144KB

Once you have the Type 58 Caterer's Permit approved, you will need to determine whether an Event Authorization is required for your event. If it's a private event like a wedding, birthday party, retirement party etc., you do not need Event Authorization. But if the public can come, even if that means buying a ticket, you need to get proper Authorization.

You will apply for Event Authorizations for each public event. That involves submitting the following form and including a check for the fee, ideally 2 weeks before the event. If it's a large-scale public event, you may need Police Dept. of approval, so you'll want to get started 30 days in advance.

ABC218_Event Authorization Packet
Download PDF • 376KB

The fees depend on attendance, and you need to pay per day. (So if it's a 3 day event under 1,000 people, it would be $300.)


• Less than 1,000 people: $100 per day

• 1,000 - 5,000 people: $325 per day

• Over 5,000 people: $1,000 per day

• Invitation Only Events pursuant to 25600.5

Pay by check. Separate Event Authorizations need to be submitted for non-consecutive day events. Read more about this on ABC's website HERE.

Hire Us:

These are, admittedly, a pain in the you know what. We typically do not do many because it becomes cost prohibitive, but if you do want our help, we're here for you! We charge $250 to consult on this and you can book our service HERE.

109 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page